Monday, March 28, 2011

White Marlin On Ross Fisher Trip


Every year Ross Fisher books us to fish some of his friends who are airline pilots. Ross is a great guy and I look forward to this trip. Today was very windy out of the north east, but I knew if we found some current the fishing would be good. After getting bait we ran to the south and when we got below Fowey the current stared going and conditions looked great. We got a couple of sailfish right off the bat and then some mahis. With the north east wind and north current it was very rough, but our gang did great holding on and fishing in the rough stuff. Just before mid day I saw a big billfish tailing down sea. "White Marlin!!" I shouted as the fish got closer. It circled the right short, but didn't eat, then it came to the left middle and was ready to bite. It was a beautiful sight to see the marlin all lit up attacking the kite bait. Some how the fish got the bait and not the hook. I ran to the south and found the marlin tailing again. I stayed with the fish for several minutes, but after casting twenty different baits it became obvious that it was not interested in anything we had. I was very discouraged, thinking to myself that we might not see another one of those for a couple years since white marlin are very rare here. After we put the baits back out we got a few more nice dolphin and another sail. Then, just after lunch I saw a big blue marlin tailing, but this fish wasn't going to eat. The ocean was alive today with the strong wind and the gulfstream close in. Later that afternoon while holding on for dear life in the tower, I could hardly believe my eyes. It was another white marlin tailing down sea! I moved the L&H in front of the swimming marlin and when Wes threw the bait out the marlin charged it and engulfed it. The white marlin raced away and I put the L&H in hot pursuit! I wanted this fish bad and water quickly filled the cockpit as we backed into the heavy seas! I had put more water in the cockpit of the L&H than ever before and when we got the leader I eased off. It was a spectacular fight with the marlin jumping more than twenty times. The fish finally went down and after a tough out to sea battle, we got the marlin back to the boat. Unfortunately this fish could not be released so we kept the ninety pound white for a trophy! It was an unbelievable day of fishing and a day that reminded me a valuable lesson that I learned from John Dudas. Never get discouraged and always keep trying no matter what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment