Monday, March 28, 2011

Bob Lewis Billfish Tournament


I have been fishing the Bob Lewis Billfish Tournament for many years. Captain John Dudas has won this tournament several times on the L&H. This year the directors made it a one day event. I fished on the Jichi and the boats owner, Louis Isaiis would be the captain. We also had Albert Castro, Ricky Q, Hannibal, Jeff V, and my son James. With the fishing so good the previous two days I knew it was going to be a great day. In the morning when I was loading the bait, I took a lot more than we usually do and everyone was asking me what I was doing. "You will see," I told them. "Today we will go through a bunch of bait! As soon as we put the lines out We got a double header sailfish. I got one and Albert got the other. The entire morning we could hardly keep the lines out between the sailfish and the dolphin. By noon we had caught ten sailfish and fifty dolphin! Thankfully in the afternoon the dolphin slowed down, but the sailfish kept biting. Captain Lou kept us on the fish and made all the right moves. Louis is one of the few boat owners who can actually run the boat he owns, and he is very, very good at it. I have fished with him for three years and he is an excellent angler, captain, and he knows how to stay with the fish. As the afternoon wore on I found myself catching most of the sailfish that came up. I usually don't grab the rods, but today when a sail came up I would get it. I finished the day going a perfect ten out of ten sailfish! When the day finally ended we had a box full of over fifty dolphin, two tunas and some kingfish. We ended up with twenty-one sailfish to get first place and set a new tournament record (the old record was set on the L&H over a two day period). I was awarded top angler of the tournament for my efforts, an accomplishment I have never achieved before. The MVP of our team today was James, who stayed behind the scenes and kept rigging and rerigging our tackle. We went through over a hundred leaders and two hundred plus baits in an eight hour day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment